Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ya Learn Something New Every Day

Well, maybe not EVERY day, but I think I picked up something important yesterday. It was a busy day, so I didn't do my blog right away, but I DID do my run, c25k w2d2. And WOW did my legs HURT!!!! I had to lean on the wall to gimp off the treadmill; I was afraid I'd fall otherwise. My calves were that badly cramped up. I stretched, I massaged, I stretched some more. Nothing but rebound cramps. ~sigh~ Then, my mother suggested a potassium deficiency. Not something I've ever dealt with, but it made a certain amount of sense. Perhaps I was getting enough for my everyday, fairly sedate lifestyle, but not enough to support the added demands of running? So, I fixed myself a snack. Greek yogurt, with honey, pecans, and dried cranberries. (I recommend it, btw. Yummy.) And what do you know? I don't think I was done eating before I began to feel MUCH better. So, now I'm going to make it a point to include enough potassium in my diet. I certainly don't want a repeat of yesterday's fiasco. On another point, I've also decided no more shorts for running, unless they happen to be knee-length and tight. Anything short enough (or that will ride up to be short enough) to leave my thighs bare impairs my form, b/c my thighs are too fat. They rub, and when it's skin-to-skin, there's not enough freedom of movement for good running form. So, for now, it's capris, b/c I don't own any bike shorts yet. Haven't in years. I consider myself too fat to wear something that tight in public. But, this isn't public, and running clothes are not a fashion statement anyway. So, I may have to buy a pair. :-) Eventually. Saw on Facebook today that a good friend of mine is thinking of taking up c25k. More power to her, I say. Far too many of us sit back and say, "I could never do that." And we make all sorts of excuses. I know; I've spent years doing it myself. But the fact of it is, you never know WHAT you can do until you TRY. And when you do what's possible today, more will be possible tomorrow (or, in this case, next week). It's all a question of doing just a little more at a time, and being kind to yourself. After all, you haven't done this before, and your body is likely to hate you for it at first. There's a reason Paul spoke of the spirit being willing, but the flesh being weak. So, we force the flesh, little by little, to become stronger. It's amazing to me how the flesh desires that which is self-destructive. Think about it. The spirit wants to run (or lift weights, ride a bike, do yoga); the body wants to sit on the couch. The spirit wants a healthful diet; the flesh demands burgers, fries, and Snickers ice cream. And in the end, if we give in to the body, is the spirit destroyed? No; the body is. One would think the flesh would have a keener sense of self-preservation! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment